Civil wedding in Italy: Papework for Bristish citizens

British Citizens wishing to marry in Italy

British Citizens residing in UK first of all need to give notice of marriage to their local Registry Office.

You should not do this more than six months prior to your intended date of marriage – three months if resident in Scotland.
Once you have obtained the Certificates of No Impediment the originals of these should be sent to the Consulate together with the following documents in order to issue the Nulla Osta required by the local Comune (town hall):

• Full length birth/adoption certificates (original) which includes parents’ names;

• If any change of name, deed poll (original);

• Divorce decree absolute nisi, if applicable (original – plus nationality of ex-spouse and maiden name of partner’s former wife) plus previous marriage certificate where possible;

• Under Italian law a woman who has been divorced and wishes to re-marry in Italy cannot re- marry until 300 days have passed from the date of her divorce. It is possible, however, to apply for a dispensation to this through the Tribunale Civile. Further information should be obtained from the Comune of the area where the marriage is to take place;

• Passports (photocopy of the page with details);
• Payment

For those living abroad the procedure is different, please ask.

For further information please check the Bristish Consulate website.

Leave a comment


Email(will not be published)*


Your comment*

Submit Comment

© Copyright Italian Wedding Planners weddings in italy